A beetroot soup recipe which pushes all the right buttons.
less than 30 mins
- 1 bunch beetroot (4 beetroots)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 500g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- chopped fresh chives, to serve
- Trim beetroot stems and leaves. Wearing gloves, peel and chop beetroot. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based stainless steel pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beetroot, potatoes, bouquet garni, stock, and 1 cup cold water.
Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour or until the beetroot is tender. Cool slightly. Remove and discard bouquet garni.
- Process soup, in batches, until smooth. Return soup to pan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with chives. Serve.