A beetroot soup recipe which pushes all the right buttons.
less than 30 mins
- 1 bunch beetroot (4 beetroots)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 500g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- chopped fresh chives, to serve
- Trim beetroot stems and leaves. Wearing gloves, peel and chop beetroot. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based stainless steel pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beetroot, potatoes, bouquet garni, stock, and 1 cup cold water.
Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour or until the beetroot is tender. Cool slightly. Remove and discard bouquet garni.
- Process soup, in batches, until smooth. Return soup to pan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with chives. Serve.
A mushroom risotto recipe which pushes all the right buttons, with intense porcini mushrooms and plump arborio rice.
less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
- 1 tbsp dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 225g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 150ml of dry white wine
- 1.2 liters hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 25g of butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan to serve
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based stainless steel pot and add the onion and garlic. Keep over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or
- Stir in the rice and coat in the oil. Pour in the wine and simmer, stirring, until the liquid has been absorbed. Add a ladleful of the stock and simmer, stirring again, until the liquid has been absorbed.
Continue adding the stock in this way, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is plump and tender.
- Roughly chop the soaked porcini mushrooms and stir into the risotto, along with the parsley, butter and salt and pepper. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan.